Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ode to Monitors -- Symerrian Sullivan




1.       What is your name (I may not always be able to tell by your email)?
Symerrian Sullivan

2.       When did you start coming to Lillstreet?
In 2004

3.       What brought/brings you to Lillstreet?
Don't laugh but, I was inspired by the movie Ghost.  When I saw Demi Moore on the wheel.  I wanted to learn how to throw.

4.       What is the nature of your clay work -- functional or sculptural?
Both

5.       What is your process?  Do you sketch, prototype and conceptualize? etc.
I'm a handbuilder.

6.       What or who influence your work?
All kinds of art, but specifically African art.  Also my friends inside and outside of Lillstreet.

7.       Do you work with other medium besides clay?
Yes, stained glass and stained glass mosiacs.  In addition to doing stained glass pieces I also put designs on tables using stained glass.

8.       What are your duties as a monitor?
I'm a part time kids monitor.  I wipe down the tables and counters in the 2 children's rooms, empty garbage, sweep up any debris that might be left behind.  Also do the same in the 2 adult handbuilding rooms.  Straighten rooms if they have been rearranged.  Make sure there is toilet paper in the women and men bathrooms, make sure there are paper towels in the dispensers. Clean assigned sink every 3 months.  wrap and box the children's ceramics once it's fired. Help with Artreach when needed.  And help with anything that Kimberly Pancoast and Karen Avery need me to help with.

9.       If there’s one thing you absolutely have to inform the Lillstreet clay community that would make your work easier, what would it be?
Please place the furniture back the way it was found after class if it has been rearranged.  And clean up extremely big messes before leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment