Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Instructor Introduction: David Trost

Please tell us a little about yourself; your name, background, education, and a fun fact or two.
David Todd Trost. MFA, School of the Art Institute of Chicago. BFA, Pen State University. Although it may be surprising to some, my grandfather was an award-winning clown with the Shriners.

How long have you been working with clay and how did you get started?
I first started making objects with clay in high school. Our school had a small ceramics program consisting of four potter's wheels, an electric kiln, and a clay mixer. I was lured into the whole culture of ceramics with a few of my classmates as we began mixing our own clays by hand, taking interest in firing techniques that were unavailable to us, and trying a number of unconventional techniques to compensate for our limited facilities.

What are your influences, both inside and outside of the clay world?
I draw the bulk of my influence from the greater culture within which we live, I am consumed by the political machinations of our government (mostly the historical implications of their actions) and the visible remnants of our shared histories.

Do you sell your work? If so, how can one find it?
I am presently without a gallery, agent, or art dealer. I am open to selling work directly from my studio in #209 at Lillstreet.

What advice can you give to students of the ceramic arts?
Patience and planning are the two keys to a successful practice in ceramics.

How do you spend your time when not working with clay?
I enjoy searching for rare or unusual musical instruments and learning to play them. I also like to read history, biographies, and sociological essays.

Any parting words?



klaatu barada nikto

Website: http://www.davidtoddtrost.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment