Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ode to Monitors -- Chuck Borchers




1. What is your name (I may not always be able to tell by your email)?
Chuck Borchers

2. When did you start coming to Lillstreet?
I believe I came in 2009

3.What brought/brings you to Lillstreet?
I was stressed from mental health work and happens to be next two buildings from other (Lillstreet and Thresholds). I needed to find stress release and saw Lillstreet so decided to check it out. Saw the catalog and decided to pick ceramics and fell in love with it ever since.


4. What is the nature of your clay work -- functional or sculptural?
mostly functional but will be taking sculptural class this coming June.

5. What is your process? Do you sketch, prototype and conceptualize? etc.
Ah well normally I just start process once I touch clay. Sometime I read magazines or videos, or other people's work and gives me ideas of what to make.

6. What or who influence your work?
Good question. I believe was that when I go to art festivals, art museums, etc., I start to notice myself that I actually enjoy arts. Reminds me when growing up, I always doodle. So I figured why not get involved. Wish I could've done it long time ago but ah never say never!

7. Do you work with other medium besides clay?
I did took glass bead class. I would like to take more classes with vary kind of arts at Lillstreet but one thing kinda prevents me from taking it is sign language as I'll explain on #9

8. What are your duties as a monitor?
I do wet-vac in handbuilding rooms, second floor hallway, making test tiles, and occasionally clean one of the sinks.

9. If there’s one thing you absolutely have to inform the Lillstreet clay community that would make your work easier, what would it be?
Since I am deaf, ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary language and would love to have an ASL interpreter when I'm taking a class. Hiring one isn't cheapWhen I first took class with Gary Jackson as a teacher, he had an assistant who sat next to me at entire time, talking directly at me as I'm able to read lips but not always and when I don't understand him, he wrote on paper for me to read. It's good idea what Gary did but it's not satisfactory. Ok, it's kinda long to explain. Basically, I can speak and able to read lip most of the time which is hearing person's advantage. But he/she either don't realize or understand my disadvantages which are when it comes to a group of people, I'm not able to comply at all. Also I can't always read everyone what they say..some move their mouth very little or have moustache or beard cover their lips. It's very frustrating for me. Only advantage I have in class is when teacher give a demo which is fine but Ill miss out what teacher says with technical terms or such. If I have sign language interpreter present, my life will be whole lot easier and able to understand what's going on with the teacher or students when they talk.

Actually I haven't taken a class for three yrs. because I'm not comfortable taking class without an interpreter. I would take class if its one on one as long I ask for teacher's patience if I'd have trouble understanding the teacher as I'd ask to say it again repeatedly and having teacher write on pen and paper. It is just how it is with me.

Actually monitors and teachers treat me kindly and try to get me involved which I totally respect for their effort, yet it'll always be a struggle for me. Believe me, Lillstreet is a great place to enjoy the work of art and its' learning process. Just wish it would be easy access with communication between a hearing and deaf person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment