Monday, August 19, 2013

Ode to Monitors -- Amy Odgers



1.       What is your name (I may not always be able to tell by your email)?
2.       When did you start coming to Lillstreet?
3.       What brought/brings you to Lillstreet?
4.       What is the nature of your clay work -- functional or sculptural?
5.       What is your process?  Do you sketch, prototype and conceptualize? etc.
6.       What or who influence your work?
7.       Do you work with other medium besides clay?
8.       What are your duties as a monitor?
9.       If there’s one thing you absolutely have to inform the Lillstreet clay community that would make your work easier, what would it be?

(Editor -- Amy chose to answer in a paragraph format to keep the readers on their toes!)


Amy Odgers

I started coming to LS in January 2009.  I am not sure what took me so long to get here...I knew about the old Lillstreet and always wanted to take a class but never got beyond thinking about it.  I finally took the plunge when a friend asked me to take a class with her.  I was a goner from day one. I have found a wonderful community here, and an endless source of inspiration.  

I do mostly functional work on the wheel but I have also done alot of hand building and also some metalsmithing projects to complement some of my ceramic pieces.  Sometimes my process is to start throwing and see what happens.  I also like to look at things and figure out if I can duplicate them.  I am working on some post caps for my deck and thinking about a replacement for my black plastic doorbell cover.  I am drawn to texture and looking for ways to get more of it into my work.  Mostly I just love playing with clay. 

I started as a claymaker this past winter.  The pugger and I had some struggles early on, but it’s getting better.  My request from the community to make my work easier...watch what you are dumping in the reclaim buckets.  Shammies and plastic are the most common offenders. among other things!  



That's it.  Thanks for your interest!   

(Editor:  The pugger is actually quite good about getting rid of any foreign objects in the  reclaimed clay).

No comments:

Post a Comment