Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ode to Monitors -- Steve Acoba


1.       What is your name (I may not always be able to tell by your email)?
Steve Acoba

2.       When did you start coming to Lillstreet?
I first started classes I think Fall of 2008?

3.       What brought/brings you to Lillstreet?
I took a class way back in high school for a few weeks and remember really enjoying it. I live in the neighborhood and drove past Lill Street all the time but never came in. I came for a workshop one day, really liked the vibe of the place so I signed up for a beginning wheel class. I have been coming in ever since. Wheel throwing is my way of de-stressing from my full-time of being a Realtor.

4.       What is the nature of your clay work -- functional or sculptural?
I mainly do functional work. Have been enjoying the challenge of throwing bottles lately. Patty's '100 Bottle Class' was great!

5.       What is your process?  Do you sketch, prototype and conceptualize? etc.
I like trying to replicate forms/shapes that I see in catalogs and in stores. I watch a lot of YouTube videos too on throwing techniques.

6.       What or who influence your work?
 Seeing ceramic pieces in stores and at art shows it what inspires me. I really like simple-looking, clean-lined shapes and forms. I stick with glazes that I think complement the shapes versus distracting from them. I  And again, watching throwing videos online. I've taken classes with many of the instructors and have learned so much from all of them. We are so fortunate to have such amazing artists teaching us.

7.       Do you work with other medium besides clay?
I just work with clay. I'd say porcelain and Bmix are my favorites. Although I like the Ochre stoneware too.

8.       What are your duties as a monitor?
I unload and reload the glaze and bisque kilns and clean tables/sinks on Monday nights.


9.       If there’s one thing you absolutely have to inform the Lillstreet clay community that would make your work easier, what would it be?
Whatever you take out from under the tables, always put it back when you're done.  And scrape the tables of any clay you might leave behind, wipe the shelf in front of your wheel when done too. Switch wheels off and stools up when you’re done.

No comments:

Post a Comment