Friday, July 26, 2013

Ode to Monitors -- Maureen Finigan




1.       What is your name (I may not always be able to tell by your email)?
My name is Maureen Finigan aka MOE

2.       When did you start coming to Lillstreet?
I think I started at Lillstreet in 2006. I have always wanted to work with clay and it I researched pottery studios in Chicago and Lillstreet seemed like a good first place to start. My first experience was welcoming, fun and stress free. I have decided to stay at Lillstreet because the community here is supportive, easy going, non competative and, fun & some of the most people I have ever met. I have built lasting friendships here that have transcended my art. I am a better person for having spent time at Lillstreet!

3.       What brought/brings you to Lillstreet?
My work is primarily functional however I am taking my first sculpture class with Robin Power and I adore it!

4.       What is the nature of your clay work -- functional or sculptural?

My process is...I explore art at galleries, in photos, other artists at Lillstreet...I try to replicate what I see that I like and then make it my own. I am a handbuilder, wheel thrower and a sculpter...:-)

5.       What is your process?  Do you sketch, prototype and conceptualize? etc.

6.       What or who influence your work?
What influences my work is nature, ie. mountains, ocean life, trees and plant life as well as the textile world. I have been a seamstress and I find those basic skills support my handbuilding process. I also sketch and do some art with pastels on paper.

7.       Do you work with other medium besides clay?
I started as a monitor wet vacuuming the floors. I am currently full time as a glaze maker, slip maker, clean once a week and keep basic supplies filled.

8.       What are your duties as a monitor?

9.       If there’s one thing you absolutely have to inform the Lillstreet clay community that would make your work easier, what would it be?
What artists at Lillstreet can do to make my work easier would be to cover glazes as soon as you finish with them, clean off the stirring sticks thoroughly for others to use, notify your teacher if a glaze consistency does not feel or look correct so I can correct it (or Susan the other glaze maker), NEVER add water to any glaze yourself, keep slips covered and do not hoard them on your shelf they are a community resource for all to use, and please make certain your work space is clean when you leave it just like you were taught in first time potter.


(Editor: I hope you've been enjoying the series.  I would love to hear your feedback -- leave comments! Also, a congratulations goes out to Maureen for being selected as one of the participants in the 2013 Annual Lillstreet Student Member Show.  Well done, Moe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment