Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Instructor Introduction: Tom Lucas


Please tell us a little about yourself; your name, background, education, and a fun fact or two.
Thomas Lucas. Originally from the Philadelphia area, BFA Tyler School of Art, MFA S.A.I.C. Director of Printmaking Dept at Lillstreet and Master Printer at Hummingbird Press LAC, also located upstairs in the print dept.

How long have you been working with clay and how did you get started?
I have been working with clay off and on for the last 20years. I used to work for John Dowell, an artist and professor in Philadelphia who worked in clay, print, painting and music. I have done a bit of throwing, hand building and raku. Recently I have developed a series of classes at Lillstreet in the Print Dept. that teach printmaking on clay techniques.

What are your influences, both inside and outside of the clay world?
Currently I am influenced by the history of art and technique as it applies to the realm of printmaking and clay.

Do you sell your work? If so, how can one find it?
I do sell my work. It can be found at Lusenhop Fine Art as well as Nicole Gallery in Chicago. I also sell out of my studio.

What advice can you give to students of the ceramic arts?
How do images affect form and how does form affect the image?

How do you spend your time when not working with clay?
Working on drawings, prints and paintings.

Any parting words?
BE INSPIRED!



Website: http://hummingbirdprint.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment